Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Android for Programmers: An App-Driven Approach, 2nd Edition
- Your Price: $28.79
- List Price: $35.99
- Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
- About eBook Formats
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUB The open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBI The eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDF The popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discretely watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Also available in other formats.
- Copyright 2014
- Edition: 2nd
- eBook (Watermarked)
- ISBN-10: 0-13-357094-0
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-357094-6
The professional programmer’s Deitel® guide to smartphone and tablet app development using Android 4.3 and 4.4, the Eclipse-based Android Development Tools and the new Android Studio
Billions of apps have been downloaded from Google Play™! This book gives you everything you’ll need to start developing great Android apps quickly and getting them published on Google Play™. The book uses an app-driven approach–each new technology is discussed in the context of seven fully tested Android apps, complete with syntax coloring, code highlighting, code walkthroughs and sample outputs. Apps you’ll develop include:
- Welcome App
- Cannon Game
- Tip Calculator
- Twitter® Searches
- Address Book
- Flag Quiz
The first-generation Android phones were released in October 2008. By October 2013, a Strategy Analytics report showed that Android had 81.3% of the global smartphone market share, compared to 13.4% for Apple, 4.1% for Microsoft and 1% for Blackberry (bit.ly/1aqIZXf). Billions of apps have been downloaded from Google Play. There are now more than one billion activated Android devices worldwide and more than 1.5 million Android devices are being activated daily (venturebeat.com/2013/09/03/android-hits-1bactivations-and-will-be-called-kitkat-in-nextversion). The opportunities for Android app developers are enormous.
This book presents leading-edge computing technologies for professional software developers. At the heart of the book is the Deitel “app-driven approach”–concepts are presented in the context of complete working Android apps, rather than using code snippets. The introduction and app test drives at the beginning of each chapter show one or more sample executions. The book’s source code is available at www.deitel.com/books/androidfp2.
The apps in this book were carefully designed to introduce you to key Android features and APIs. You’ll quickly learn everything you need to start building Android apps–beginning with a testdrive of the Doodlz app in Chapter 1, then building your first app in Chapter 2. By the time you reach Chapter 9, you’ll be ready to create your own apps for submission to Google Play and other app marketplaces. You’ll master the Google Play submission process, including uploading your apps, deciding whether to sell your apps or offer them for free, and marketing them using in-app advertising, social media, Internet public relations and more.
Practical, example-rich coverage of:
- Android 4.3 and 4.4
- Android Development Tools, Android Studio
- Supporting Various Screen Sizes/Resolutions
- Accessibility, Internationalization, Graphics
- Activities, Fragments, Intents, Preferences
- GUIs, Layouts, Menus, Resource Files, Lists, Adapters, Events, Touch/Gesture Processing
- Immersive Mode, Printing Framework, PrintHelper
- Assets (Images, Audio), View Animation
- Threading, Collections, SQLite Database
- Social sharing via implicit intents
- Google Play™, App Publishing, Pricing, Monetization, Marketing, In-App Advertising, In-App Billing and more.
- Download code examples
- For information on Deitel’s Dive Into® Series programming training courses delivered at organizations worldwide visit www.deitel.com/training or write to email@example.com
- Join the Deitel social networking communities on Facebook® at deitel.com/DeitelFan, Twitter® @deitel, Google+™ at google.com/+DeitelFan, LinkedIn® at bit.ly/DeitelLinkedIn, YouTube™ at youtube.com/user/DeitelTV and subscribe to the Deitel® Buzz Online e-mail newsletter at www.deitel.com/newsletter/ subscribe.html
Deitel & Associates is an internationally recognized authoring and corporate training organization specializing in Android™ and iOS® app development, programming languages, object technology and Internet and web software technology. The company offers instructor-led courses delivered at client sites worldwide on programming languages and platforms, such as Android™ app development, iOS® app development, Java™, Objective-C, C#, Visual Basic®, Visual C++®, C++, C, XML, Python, Perl®, object technology, Internet and web programming, and a growing list of additional programming and software-development courses. The founders of Deitel & Associates, Inc., are Paul Deitel and Dr. Harvey Deitel. The company’s training clients include many of the world’s largest corporations, government agencies, branches of the military and academic institutions. To learn more about Deitel & Associates, Inc., its professional books, college textbooks, e-books and LiveLessons video training, and its worldwide Dive-Into® Series instructor-led, on-site training curriculum, visit www.deitel.com/training or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Join the Deitel social media communities on Facebook® (www.deitel.com/DeitelFan), Twitter® (@deitel), Google+™ (google.com/+DeitelFan), LinkedIn® (bit.ly/DeitelLinkedIn) and YouTube™ (youtube.com/user/DeitelTV), and subscribe to the Deitel® Buzz Online newsletter (www.deitel.com/newsletter/subscribe.html).
ONE MONTH ACCESS!
Get unlimited 30-day access to thousands of Books & Training Videos about technology, professional development and digital media If you continue your subscription after your 30-day trial, you can receive 30% off a monthly subscription to the Safari Library for up to 12 months.
Other Things You Might Like
- Android Development with Android Studio and Eclipse - LiveLessons (Video Training), Downloadable
- Downloadable Video $119.99
- Learning Android Application Programming: A Hands-On Guide to Building Android Applications
- eBook (Watermarked) $25.59