My Motorola Atrix 4G: Audio and Video
Topics in this chapter include the following:
- The Music application for audio and music
- The Gallery application for video
- Using doubleTwist to synchronize audio and video
Your Motorola Atrix 4G is a strong multimedia smartphone with the ability play back many different audio and video formats. The large screen enables you to turn your Motorola Atrix 4G sideways to enjoy a video in its original 16:9 ratio. You can also use your Motorola Atrix 4G to search YouTube, watch videos, and even upload videos to YouTube right from your phone. You can also connect your Atrix to a television using the supplied HDMI cable, or the optional HD Multimedia Dock.
The Music Application—Audio
Let’s take a look at how the Music application works and how to enjoy hours of music while you work.
- Touch the Music icon on the Home screen. The Music application presents you with any music and audio files that you have copied to your Motorola Atrix 4G.
- Touch the Artists tab to filter the view by artist. Touch an artist’s name to reveal songs by that artist and then touch a song to play it.
- Touch the Albums tab to filter the view by album title.
- Touch the Genres tab to filter the view by Genre, such as Alternative, Electronic, Pop, and so on. Touch a genre name to reveal songs in the genre and then touch a song to play it.
- Touch the Songs tab to filter the view by song title. This shows all songs by all artists. Touch a song to play it.
- Touch the Playlists tab to show any music playlists that you have synchronized to your Motorola Atrix 4G. (I cover how to do that later in the chapter.)
- Touch an album to show its album cover and the songs on the album.
- The song that is playing displays at the bottom of the screen.
- The play icon indicates that this song is currently playing.
While your music is playing, you have some control over how it plays and the selection of music that plays.
- Touch to jump to the previous song in the album, playlist, or shuffle. Touch and hold to rewind the song.
- Touch to jump to the next song in the album, playlist, or shuffle. Touch and hold to fast forward the song.
- Touch to pause the song. The button turns into the play button when a song is paused. Touch again to resume playing a paused song.
- Touch to open the current playlist. If the song is not in a playlist, the list of all songs displays.
- Touch to shuffle the current playlist. This plays the songs in the playlist in random order. If the song is not in a playlist, all songs on your Motorola Atrix 4G are shuffled.
- Touch to enable repeating. Touch once to repeat all songs, touch again to repeat the current song only (a little 1 is visible on the button), touch again to disable repeating.
- Drag left or right to skip through the song.
- Touch to enable and change the Graphic Equalizer settings.
- Touch and hold the artist, song title, or album name to search the Internet, your music library, or YouTube for items that match.
Taking More Actions
While a song is playing, if you touch the Menu button, you can take a few actions on the song.
- Touch Library to see your entire music library.
- Touch Add to Playlist to add the current song to a playlist. Read more about playlists later in the chapter.
- Touch Use as Ringtone to make the song the current ringtone.
- Touch Delete to delete the current song. Confirm the deletion on the next screen.
- Touch Party Shuffle to let your Motorola Atrix 4G start the Party Shuffle feature.
Working and Listening to Music
While your music is playing, you can continue using your Motorola Atrix 4G without interrupting the music.
- To work on other applications while listening to music, touch the Home button. The notification bar displays an icon indicating your music is still playing.
- To switch back to the currently playing song, pull down the notification bar.
- Touch the song.